03 November 2009

"Out of this wood do not desire to go . . . "


There comes a time when nothing you can write or say will capture the sheer beauty and solace that one finds unexpectedly. But we endeavor, nonetheless . . .

I stumbled upon this scene on my way to work one morning last week. As I rounded the corner of this quiet country road, a sweep of pale pink coated the woods. I had never seen this before. Apparently, once the taller trees had lost their canopy of leaves, the smaller understory trees now had the sunlight necessary to continue the change in color. Eventually, they will be a bright scarlet. But at this moment the delicacy of the hue was amazing. I felt I had drifted into something from Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream -- a fairyland, a dreamland, a land of reverie where Oberon and Titania reign supreme.

I know that words cannot begin to describe how I felt standing before all this -- acres worth as far as the eye could see -- but I hope these few images convey the wonder of it all.

Out of this wood do not desire to go . . . (Titania, Midsummer's Night Dream)

7 comments:

The Artist Within Us said...

The first thing that came to mind was that I wished to be there too and plant my feet in this garden of heavenly delights, soaking in the beauty and enriching the soul.

I cherish this moment and thank you for it.

Warmest regards
Egmont

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly,
When I look at this wonderful scene I realise I could never capture the essence of it on canvas. Nothing lifts the spirit more than the beauty of nature.

Kelly M. said...

Thanks for your wonderful comments, Egmont and Carolann. I love these "long distance" musings we bloggers share. These woods certainly did enrich the soul and, yes, Nature has an amazing way of humbling humanity, especially in this high-tech age.

layers said...

Yes, it is hard to put into words sometimes the beauty we see-- or to paint it-- but when we see beauty we know it.

chrome3d said...

That was a real pink dream. So funny to think that they have to wait for their turn all summer and only then to fully "blossom". Incredible.

nancy neva gagliano said...

stunning. how did you leave this and go on to work? bravo, that you took the time and your camera, captured, and can view again and share. the most beautiful dreamlike scene.

Kelly M. said...

Donna, Chrome3d, Nancy -- lovely to hear from you all and thanks for your comments!