01 March 2011

Change of Pace

Recently I took a break from painting, seeking out another path to follow for awhile. Suddenly I had felt the need to "cleanse the palette," to return to the basics of paper and ink.  I've written before about nudes and my love of the human form; however, I've only taken one life drawing class, which was cut short by snow storms last year.  I continue to dabble, sketching people at the beach, sitting in cafes, waiting in airports, etc.  There is something about the body in moments of quietude, when the person is totally unaware of being observed -- staring off into space over a mug of coffee, laying on a beach soaking in the rays or trundling along the sidewalk walking a dog -- those are the moments one hopes to capture.

The Pin by K. E. Marszycki
11"x14";  ink on paper

It's more difficult during a posed life drawing, as the model is aware and often posed in a stilted manner. Time is pressing, you can hear other members of the class grumbling, whispering, the model twitches, the instructor rambles on and on giving well-meaning advice . . . then "bing!" the timer goes off and you're just getting warmed up.


Seated Nude by K. E. Marszycki
14" x 17"; gouache on paper

The fun thing about these sketches is that they were done from my head -- sorry, Madam, but I'm removing your bathing suit but just this once, I assure you -- from people I recall or, as in the case of the sketch below, taken from a beautiful sculpture by Rodin of his lover, Camille Claudel.

Rendering of Rodin's Savage Sweetness by K.E. Marszycki
17" x 14"; ink on paper

I hope to continue this series of ink sketches as I believe they are loose and spontaneous with little time to fret over whether the scale or dimensions are correct, that there are no facial features thus giving them perhaps a more universal feel.  I liked the feel of the ink on paper and, whenever I found myself tensing up, I turned the bamboo stick sideways and rolled it, thus breaking up the line, letting my clumsiness convey an added edginess.

Maybe a bit later in the spring I will have some of these sketches framed and bring to the Gallery . . . we'll see.  Sometimes it's difficult to let one's work go when it has given you such pleasure, such freedom, has taught you well . . .

12 comments:

tess stieben said...

Beautiful line, I feel the enjoyment in the pieces. I love the variety of line in each one. I am very exacting in my work and am attempting loosening up somewhat, Seeing these works is inspiring as I love variety.

Kelly M. said...

Thanks so much, Teresa, for your comments -- loosening up is sometimes harder to do than one thinks!

helen said...

Very different and a bit mysterious!

Laura said...

your lines are exquisite and so full of expression...beautiful drawings!

Kelly M. said...

Helen and Laura -- thank you for your comments! Much appreciated!

Eva said...

These are wonderful!!! If I could sketch like this I think it would be my primary medium of expression.Beautiful.

Kelly M. said...

Eva -- thank you so much!

Cora Pearl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
helen lyôn said...

love

Kelly M. said...

many thanks, helen

Adam Cope said...

nice... do u know Pascin's drawings?

Draw lots!

Kelly M. said...

Adam -- no, not familiar but will look up! Thanks for your visit/comment!